[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Confusion about U-Boot setup

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 21:23:52 PDT 2019

@Off Topic, regarding managing U-Boot out of YOCTO tree

Just to clear some things here... At least from my side.

Anyway, whatever you, guys, do with YOCTO (and YOCTO indeed gives and
delivers the complete BSP + rootfs), I usually use ONLY one YOCTO
component: rootfs. All other components I manage out of YOCTO tree. In
other words, I do my own u-boot and my own kernel as separate
components. Easier for me. All three components will go to different
separate SDcard or mmc partitions.

If it comes to manage .config, it is somehow supported. But when it
comes to do separate set of drivers, people use overlays (new layers
over old ones). Imagine someone needs to change DTS topology?!

I guess, I used to this philosophy. Buildroot is another alternative
(much easier manageable for rootfs-es in terms of adding separate
components), but I like YOCTO integrated rootfs vision, and user space
layering. ;-)

My two cent worth thinking (at least from R&D perspective),
Zoran
_______