[yocto] puzzle: simple recipe gets image dependencies

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 16:09:24 PST 2019

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 3:42 PM Vladimir Molokov <vladimir.molokov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> thank you for your answer!
>
> when I comment out DEPENDS = "attr" line in "example" recipe
> then there is no "bad-example" dependency:
> https://gitlab.com/morokov/build/raw/master/task-depends-without-attr.dot
>
> > Alright, so you have initramfs enabled it seems. Which means kernel
> > will first try to build designated
> > initramfs image which in your case is
> >
> > "linux-yocto.do_bundle_initramfs" ->
> "core-image-minimal.do_image_complete"
> >
> > and then core-image-minimal includes bad-example
> >
> > "core-image-minimal.do_image_complete" ->
> "bad-example.do_populate_sysroot"
> >
> > and example does ask kernel to be deployed
> >
> > "example.do_build" -> "linux-yocto.do_deploy"
> >

> > so that completes the chain.
>
> "example" is just a simple recipe, it doesn't inherit image class
> it doesn't even belong to any image, just standalone recipe.
> I don't quite get the logic around initramfs

Initramfs is an image that is bundled into kernel binary so you are
essentially building an image before you can create kernel binary
thereafter you build full image and your build is choking on this small
image which infact is a regular image and will respect image depends

> why does it add those dependencies to "example" recipe?
> it doesn't if "attr" is commented out.

Possible that attr dependencies traverse down to kernel