[yocto] puzzle: simple recipe gets image dependencies

Vladimir Molokov vladimir.molokov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 15:41:49 PST 2019

thank you for your answer!

when I comment out DEPENDS = "attr" line in "example" recipe
then there is no "bad-example" dependency:
https://gitlab.com/morokov/build/raw/master/task-depends-without-attr.dot

> Alright, so you have initramfs enabled it seems. Which means kernel
> will first try to build designated
> initramfs image which in your case is
>
> "linux-yocto.do_bundle_initramfs" -> "core-image-minimal.do_image_complete"
>
> and then core-image-minimal includes bad-example
>
> "core-image-minimal.do_image_complete" -> "bad-example.do_populate_sysroot"
>
> and example does ask kernel to be deployed
>
> "example.do_build" -> "linux-yocto.do_deploy"
>

> so that completes the chain.

"example" is just a simple recipe, it doesn't inherit image class
it doesn't even belong to any image, just standalone recipe.
I don't quite get the logic around initramfs
why does it add those dependencies to "example" recipe?
it doesn't if "attr" is commented out.