[yocto] Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days

Tue May 14 04:31:58 PDT 2019

Hi,

I think the discussion went a bit off track, which happens on mailing
lists after x replies;)

Please see my comments in-line.

On 03.05.19 21:01, Volosincu, Andreea S wrote:

> ELCE – Monday, October 28 -30, 2019, Lyon Convention Centre, Lyon, France
>
>                Yocto Project is a sponsor. We’ll see you on the show floor
>
> ELCE Yocto Project Summit – Dates & Times:
>
> Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 8:00AM - 6:00PM
>
>                 November 1, 2019 - 8:00 am - 6:00PM

As you might know I am willing to help teaching at the EU event.

> Set-up:
>
> Day 1: 1 Meeting Room - Theater Seating for 100 for Yocto Project talks
>
> Day 2: 2 Meeting Rooms - Mixed Classroom/Theater seating for 60 &
> Classroom seating for 40 (for maintainers and users)
>
> Includes:
>
> Morning Break for 2 days
>
> Buffet Lunch for 2 days
>
> Beer & Wine Reception with light appetizers for 1 day
>
> The goal for the second day of the summit is to build and bring the
> community together. We are interested to hear your opinions and ideas on
> how that day and those rooms should be used for. Please send your ideas
> to Andreea Volosincu and Philip Balister.

1)

I propose for the YP people to borrow some of their marketing people to
OE ;) really I am serious about it.
(I already proposed that on the last OE Dev day, but no idea what happened).

There are quite a few cool things going on and they are not known to the
public.

2) What kind of classes?

2.1) Basic classes
2.2) Intermediate classes
2.3) Advanced classes

It all depends on interest from trainees and from trainers and what we
would like to present in general those 2 days.

Should it be just some veterans coming together (well the usual
suspects) discussing things and drinking beer? (Josef will only get
coffee and water)

... or do we want to bring in new people/beginners and give them some
overview/initial help with the "monster" as well?

Don't get me wrong, I am delivering lots of YP/OE trainings and there is
definitely a very high demand for this, but is that what we want to be
covered in the 2 days as well?

3)

A different approach might be for people to "bring their own YP/OE
problem" and we'll try to sort it out on the spot (if possible) or at
least we'll try to propose some guidance how problems could be solved.
That might be a quite interesting mix of simple and advanced problems.
Having all the "brains" of the project(s) together in one place might
help to see what problems people actually have.

Examples I came across:

3.1) People are told to use the YP in their project because the board
manufacturer made a BSP with it, but they just need a headless system.
3.1.1) They start to remove stuff from the shiny Qt enabled demo of the
board manufacturer - and fail.

3.2) People build some binaries with the SDK provided by the board
manufacturer and manually copy them over to the rootfs - and can never
reproduce again what goes in the field. - even the kernel and the boot
loader are "maintained" outside of the YP/OE sometimes.

3.3) People build a complete image and upload it to the target with
every little code change - instead of a different "developer" and
"test/release" workflow.

3.4) License compliance - what this really exists?

3.5) Static libs (with autotools) (I made a speech about it last time at
the YP dev day)

3.6) SW update vs. package management - sooner or later this is needed

3.7) Reproduce-able builds - are they?

3.8) Containers - deliver app(s) in containers

Now you know why I have so many gray/white hair and why I am traveling
all the time delivering trainings ;)

> We will call out an Advocacy meeting in a couple of weeks to go over
> plans and vote on the ideas for the second day of the summit.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andreea
>
> Yocto Project Advocacy Lead

Regards,