[yocto] [rauc] create a rescue image

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at posteo.de
Tue Mar 26 01:14:05 PDT 2019

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 09:05:47 +0100
jairo <jairo at futurasmus-knxlab.es> wrote:

> Thanks Patrick:
>

> The idea is that when an update is going to be done, the system will
> restart in the rescue partition so that it updates the main partition
> and when it is updated it will restart the main partition again.

This is a good idea when you want to keep a maximum of rootfs-space for
one system and can be done with RAUC, bootchooser and barebox.

However, there is a risk of when a system update (from the
rescue-partition) installs a non-working image. Then you will stuck on
your rescue system without a possibility to get back a working system.

This is why "usually" there is system0 and a system1 which are
switching over after an update and the system marks itself OK if it is
- otherwise it is switching back to the previous system.

> I think the problem (among others) was having it because I was not
> applying any patch to the device-tree. It's a somewhat complicated
> issue, anyway, thank you very much for the help, I think it's a good
> clue to keep going.

Also check the latest phytec recipes in their distro, they integrated
RAUC and barebox-state (in eeprom) and bootchooser. Though this is not
yet releases for IMX6 - afaik.

--
Patrick.