[yocto] Can't build SDK while shrinking shadow tools

Jérémy Singy jeremy.singy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 06:59:56 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 10:03 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 2:16 AM Jérémy Singy <jeremy.singy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm facing a problem by trying to shrink the size of our root filesystem.
>> To avoid installing some unneeded tools such as adduser, groupadd,
>> nologin, etc. I just created as usual a shadow_%.bbappend in our layer
>> which removes the content using do_install_append:
>>
>>     # do not install alternatives
>>     ALTERNATIVE_${PN} = ""
>>     ALTERNATIVE_${PN}-base = ""
>
> This is most probably the reason for your issue
> You may want to remove the alternatives which you are deleting but not everything

In the meantime I could fix the problem. I had to remove the
alternative for nologin in the util-linux recipe as well (as hinted by
the error message, this was the offending recipe)

I just wrote a util-linux_%.bbappend to remove the alternatives for
nologin (which I don't need) and I could then build the SDK:

    ALTERNATIVE_${PN}_remove = "nologin"
    ALTERNATIVE_LINK_NAME[nologin] = ""
    do_install_append() {
      rm -f ${D}${base_sbindir}/nologin