[yocto] General Question: Device specific value store

Matthias Schoepfer matthias.schoepfer at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 25 01:52:59 PDT 2019

Hi Morné,

thanks for you answer. Maybe, I will explain more: we have a Dragonboard
410c based hardware. We use a read-only rootfs in one partition
(actually two with A/B approach) and we have a data partition for user
data as well as device specific data. We can partition and flash the
device through fastboot. So, if we can prepare ext4 filesystems (maybe
through yocto instead of hand-crafted scripting) for each device,
commissioning will be an easy task for the manufacturer.

I guess, we are not the only ones that need to store device specific
information besides the rootfs, and I do not find a whole lot about it
in the yocto manuals. I wonder, if there are best practices, how to
protect the data from getting corrupted (intentionally by an attacker or
by accident through ... flash corruption or whatever).

Regards,

    Matthias