[yocto] Support NAND flash

Josef Holzmayr holzmayr at rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Thu Jun 6 04:59:52 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 09:15:46PM +1000, JH wrote:
> More specific, looks to me that the drivers are OS based, the eCos has
> NAND I/O, the OpenWRT has some support NAND I/O as well, how does the
> Yocto support?

This is not exactly a "how does the yocto" support-thing. Yocto is not
the OS. The OS by itself is the Linux kernel, which has extensive NAND
support in a lot of varieties. If you want to have a look, see
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/mtd and
especially the nand subdirectory. In a nutshell it goes like this: if
you buy a board, ask whomever gave it to you for a kernel plus config
that works. Also, they are in most cases also obliged to tell you how to
write something to the (NAND-)flash.

For the userspace side, there is the mtd-utils suite:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org which is already nicely packaged for
OE: http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/mtd/mtd-utils_git.bb

So these are your starting points, you have to apply them to your
specific setup yourself. The only common things I can think of is:
1) make sure your kernel+config support the flash chip in use
2) install the mtd-utils for interacting with it.

Greetz.

> Thank you.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> - JH
>
> On 6/6/19, JH <jupiter.hce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone used NAND? Does the MTD already support the NAND driver or
> > do you have to work our the detailed driver yourself? Could you share
> > your experiences how to build the image and to hand and access the
> > NAND if it is required?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > - JH

———————————————
Josef Holzmayr
Software Developer Embedded Systems

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548