[yocto] How to specify a different kernel for an image

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 14:26:19 PDT 2019

Hello All,
I have a situation where I need to build an image for my machine with
a different kernel than is specified by
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel.  But I also need to build the
default kernel.  This is for a "manufacturing" image which will
include the full production image, and then some (and, possibly,
without some).  The kernel configuration needs to be different for the
manufacturing image.

What is the recommended mechanism to override the value of
PREFERRED_PROVIDE_virtual/kernel in my manufacturing-image.bb recipe?

--wpd