[yocto] Python upgrade path?

Derek Dresser dresserd at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 3 06:50:46 PST 2019

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 5:36 AM Alexander Kanavin <alex.kanavin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 10:11, Derek Dresser <dresserd at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > I have an application that uses features introduced in Python 3.6, so I
> am trying to add a new version of Python to my Yocto build.  I know that
> 3.5.6 is the latest version of Python that has been included in a Yocto
> release.  I found the patches here
> > https://patchwork.openembedded.org/series/14778/
> > and was able to build Python3.7.1 for the commit specified in the
> patch.  I looked briefly at rebasing the patches on the Thud branch, but I
> think that is beyond my current Python and Yocto capabilities.
> >
> > Are there any paths forward for me to get a newer version of Python
> using Yocto?  Would it be possible for me to use a package created from
> that patched build and integrate it with my current thud build?  Are there
> any other workarounds I could use until a newer version of Python is
> supported?
> >
> > I'd be happy to spend some time on this if I could help move this
> forward, but I don't think this is something I can do by myself at this
> point.  I'm quite new to Yocto.
>
> Sadly there is no good answer. There are patches, but they need
> further work (see oe-core list for details). Worse yet, thud is likely
> to stay with 3.5, as such drastic version upgrades are usually not
> done in stable branches (you are still free to do it via a custom
> layer with backported recipes though).
>
> If you can take solving the issues and getting py 3.7 merged into
> master as an exercise, this would be greatly appreciated by everyone,
> and would take you out of 'new to yocto' :)
>

> Alex

Thanks for the response.  I will take a look at getting 3.7 to build, but
I'd benefit from some guidance on the process to do so.  I was able to get
the patches to build on the specified commit that they target (although I
just tried again and ran into some issues.  I'll have to figure out what I
did the first time.)  This is what I did.

1. download patches from https://patchwork.openembedded.org/series/14778/
2. checkout poky at specified commit
"e349b239c8833bcdad9b1ff1a0702ace2db71959"
3. apply patch
4. bitbake python3

I then tried to rebase the patches on the master branch and ran into many
merge conflicts that I didn't really have the context to resolve.  I
believe that is where I'll have to dig in to get things working.

My questions are, is that a reasonable process?  Is there a better process
using devtool or something?  Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek