[yocto] Python upgrade path?

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 02:35:41 PST 2019

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 10:11, Derek Dresser <dresserd at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I have an application that uses features introduced in Python 3.6, so I am trying to add a new version of Python to my Yocto build.  I know that 3.5.6 is the latest version of Python that has been included in a Yocto release.  I found the patches here
> https://patchwork.openembedded.org/series/14778/
> and was able to build Python3.7.1 for the commit specified in the patch.  I looked briefly at rebasing the patches on the Thud branch, but I think that is beyond my current Python and Yocto capabilities.
>
> Are there any paths forward for me to get a newer version of Python using Yocto?  Would it be possible for me to use a package created from that patched build and integrate it with my current thud build?  Are there any other workarounds I could use until a newer version of Python is supported?
>
> I'd be happy to spend some time on this if I could help move this forward, but I don't think this is something I can do by myself at this point.  I'm quite new to Yocto.

Sadly there is no good answer. There are patches, but they need
further work (see oe-core list for details). Worse yet, thud is likely
to stay with 3.5, as such drastic version upgrades are usually not
done in stable branches (you are still free to do it via a custom
layer with backported recipes though).

If you can take solving the issues and getting py 3.7 merged into
master as an exercise, this would be greatly appreciated by everyone,
and would take you out of 'new to yocto' :)

Alex