[yocto] Creating fitImage output images

Sam Lewis sam.vr.lewis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 22:46:51 PDT 2019

For my use case, I'd to generate an fitImage that contains a kernel, dtb &
squashfs rootfs.

The existing `kernel-fitimage.bbclass` class can be hacked to do what I
want but it is tricky and doesn't feel quite right, as I'm not really using
an initramfs. It also requires patching the kernel-fitimage.bbclass file to
allow non cpio initramfs file types to be included in the resulting
fitimage.

Would the approach of adding a new, more customisable, fitImage image class
be a better method to achieve this? Or is sticking with the kernel-fitimage
the correct approach?

I noticed xilinx had a xilinx-fitimage image class in their meta-xilinx
repo that appears to be much of what I want, so could prove to be a good
starting place if the separate image type is a better way of proceeding:
https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx/blob/61e3825585a5616a01de9a2570b81cf9c8a91bb3/classes/xilinx-fitimage.bbclass