[yocto] coreutils postinstall warning

Seth Bollinger seth.boll at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 05:38:49 PDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 8:16 AM Seth Bollinger <seth.boll at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> We've been seeing the following warning for a while now.  Is this expected?
>
> WARNING: manuf-image-1.0-r0 do_rootfs: Intentionally failing postinstall
> scriptlets of ['coreutils'] to defer them to first boot is deprecated.
> Please place them into pkg_postinst_ontarget_${PN} ().
>
> From what I can see, it's being caused by update-alternatives.  Is there a
> workaround for this?

I'll answer my own question since it may be of value to someone else.

coreutils, util-linux and busybox all provide overlapping utilities.  Most
are covered by update alternatives, some are not.  If you have enabled one
of those in busybox, then update alternatives will fail trying to make the
symbolic link.  As I understand it (from the warning message) is that
failing the postinst step used to be a way to ask to be executed at target
runtime.  The solution is to have only one package provide the conflicting
utility (or add alternatives to all packages that provide the utility).

Here's an example error message:
update-alternatives: Error: not linking
/home/seth/projects/awusb/build/tmp/work/awusb1012-awusb-linux/awusb-image/1.0-r0/rootfs/usr/bin/unshare
to /bin/busybox.nosuid since
/home/seth/projects/awusb/build/tmp/work/awusb1012-awusb-linux/awusb-image/1.0-r0/rootfs/usr/bin/unshare
exists and is not a link

Seth