[yocto] Kernel development using externalsrc

CHMIELARZ Radoslaw radoslaw.chmielarz at leica-geosystems.com
Tue Oct 30 04:02:24 PDT 2018

Hi all,

The company I work for uses yocto to build an image with a custom linux kernel. The documentation (https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html) suggests a setup where the kernel is under git and the kernel recipe specifies this git repository hence the workflow is the following:

  1.  Make changes in local kernel directory
  2.  Submit changes to git (and presumably push to shared space)
  3.  Run yocto build which fetches the changes

However since I don't want to push the changes to git server before I test locally I have added the kernel sources using externalsrc. Unfortunately this has the drawback that linux-libc-headers runs do_configure and do_install phase which invalidates glibc-initial and requires a recompilation of a couple of hundreds of packages. I would like to avoid it.

Thus my question is: how can I retain this setup where I only make local changes to the kernel without yocto rebuilding glibc and dependent packages?

To add more background we are using morty release and the changes in kernel will be in configuration and devices (probably as modules but some may be included with the kernel binary). Glibc is also an externalsrc project at the moment since I'm trying to upgrade to newer yocto release but this will be taken from git in the long run.

Cheers,
Radek