[yocto] How to update YP kernel image (run-time)

Kosta Zertsekel KZertsekel at advaoptical.com
Tue Oct 30 12:35:21 PDT 2018

On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 4:23 Raymond Yeung wrote:
> Let's say I've a working run-time system running 2016 April release (Krogoth) Poky image.
> I've it installed previously from a USB thumb drive onto a much bigger SSD with all partitions setup.
> I don't need to change the partition from here onward.
> Is there an easy way to replace it with, say 2017 Oct release (Rocko) Poky image (and vice versa)?
> E.g. by replacing just one file (e.g. bzImage)?
> Or is there a script that would take care of it?
> What happens to all the existing directories, e.g. /etc, /bin etc.?

The question has no connection to a specific Yocto release at all.
If I rephrase the question it becomes "How do I upgrade my Linux system at all?".
Take a look at ResinOS partition scheme here:
https://www.balena.io/docs/reference/OS/overview/2.x/#image-partition-layout
May be it can shed a bit of a light.

--- Kosta Z.