[yocto] How to update YP kernel image (run-time)

Raymond Yeung rksyeung at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:23:44 PDT 2018

Let's say I've a working run-time system running 2016 April release (Krogoth) Poky image.  I've it installed previously from a USB thumb drive onto a much bigger SSD with all partitions setup.  I don't need to change the partition from here onward.

Is there an easy way to replace it with, say 2017 Oct release (Rocko) Poky image (and vice versa)?  E.g. by replacing just one file (e.g. bzImage)?  Or is there a script that would take care of it?  What happens to all the existing directories, e.g. /etc, /bin etc.?

I've been trying to adapt init_install.sh under poky/meta/recipes-core/initrdScripts/files, but it seems to assume I've a separate device (like USB drive).

Thanks,
Raymond