[yocto] Busybox_1.23.2 fails at do_compile on Poky-Sumo

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:35:29 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:58 AM, Dhanush K.S <dhanush.ks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Yocto,
>
> I'm currently building an image with the busybox_1.23.2.bb recipe included,
> using Yocto Sumo 2.5 with the Bitbake version 1.37.0. It is running on a
> CentOS host building images for the target ARM cortexa8. This busybox recipe
> is placed in another custom layer. Though this recipe compiles without
> errors in Poky-Fido, in Poky-Sumo I get compilation errors due to missing
> header files. Please take a look at the link below for the log.do_compile
> output.
>
> https://pastebin.com/yYXJnC2e

>From the log of the failing command, the cross compiler is being
called without a --sysroot option, which usually means the CC value
set by the build environment is being ignored or over-ridden.

I guess your custom busybox recipe is missing the following update:

  http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/?id=b7c265e1edd5c82126c1f3915ba5ca9efef57c00

Which is required in order to work correctly with versions of OE
containing the following change:

  http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/?id=aeb653861a0ec39ea7a014c0622980edcbf653fa

> Both limits.h and byteswap.h don't exist in Poky-Fido as well, but compiles
> without problems, unlike on Sumo. Does this have to do with the wrong
> Toolchains used or due to glibc (FYI: glibc_2.27 is been used)? If it has to
> do with the Toolchains, which one should I be using and how do I go about
> it? Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Generally you should not expect a third party layer originally created
for fido to "just work" with sumo.

Perhaps ask whoever maintains your custom layers and recipes whether
they have a version which has been tested with sumo.