[yocto] meta-mingw: unable to run executables on Windows

Joshua Watt jpewhacker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:07:29 PST 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 8:41 PM Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/18 9:54 AM, Mark Hatle wrote:
> > On 11/13/18 3:56 AM, Samuli Piippo wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've just upgraded poky and meta-mingw layers from sumo to thud and as a result
> >> a lot of the executables in the toolchain no longer run correctly on Windows.
> >
> > Which version of windows?
> >
> >> I've built meta-toolchain for SDKMACHINE=x86_64-mingw32. From that, gcc/g++ work
> >> fine on Windows 10, but ar, as, objdumb, and others hang for ~30 seconds and
> >> exit without any output.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else seen this?
> >
> > I've run a toolchain made on mingw after sumo, but before thud's release.  I'll
> > see if I can find a VM and give it a try later today.
>
> I'm running on Windows 7 for my testing (ya, I know old.. but it's what I got.)
>
> Can you try adding the following to your conf/local.conf: GCCPIE_mingw32 = ""
>
> I found that the SDK was not working properly here as well, but only binutils.
> The above seems to fix the issue.  (You do have to rebuild your SDK.)

I also saw this issue on Windows 7, and your described fix corrected
it (Thanks!). On the plus side, the automated SDK testing that I'm
working on discovered it as well (e.g. the tests failed because of
it), which means that the tests are working and should help prevent
issues like this in the future once I get it merged.