[yocto] meta-mingw: unable to run executables on Windows

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Nov 14 18:41:13 PST 2018

On 11/14/18 9:54 AM, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 11/13/18 3:56 AM, Samuli Piippo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just upgraded poky and meta-mingw layers from sumo to thud and as a result
>> a lot of the executables in the toolchain no longer run correctly on Windows.
>
> Which version of windows?
>
>> I've built meta-toolchain for SDKMACHINE=x86_64-mingw32. From that, gcc/g++ work
>> fine on Windows 10, but ar, as, objdumb, and others hang for ~30 seconds and
>> exit without any output.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> I've run a toolchain made on mingw after sumo, but before thud's release.  I'll
> see if I can find a VM and give it a try later today.

I'm running on Windows 7 for my testing (ya, I know old.. but it's what I got.)

Can you try adding the following to your conf/local.conf: GCCPIE_mingw32 = ""

I found that the SDK was not working properly here as well, but only binutils.
The above seems to fix the issue.  (You do have to rebuild your SDK.)