[yocto] How to request a certain version of a recipes for an image?

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at posteo.de
Sun Nov 4 08:55:30 PST 2018

Hi list,

I'm using the morty-release for my device.

My sources consists of different layers. Some application
specific-layers (which contains a image-recipe), our
BSP-provider and tooling-layers.

It now happens that in there is package (dt-utils) which has recipes in
two different layers, with different versions.

In my image-file I request the package via

    IMAGE_INSTALL += "dt-utils"

How do I force the version of dt-utils for this image? By default it
selects the wrong one.

Here's what I tried, by adding to the image-recipe:

    DEPENDS += "dt-utils (>= 2017.03.0)"

and

    RDEPENDS += "dt-utils (>= 2017.03.0)"

seems to have no effect. Adding the version-logic to the
IMAGE_INSTALL-line fails to build.

What works is to add PREFERRED_VERSION to local.conf. But this is not
committable, so I'd like to avoid it.

Thanks.

best regards,
--