[yocto] [OE-core] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019

Sean Hudson darknighte at darknighte.com
Fri Nov 2 14:51:42 PDT 2018

On 11/2/18 10:57 AM, akuster808 wrote:
> Morning Trevor,
>
> On 11/1/18 7:27 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM Jon Mason <jdmason at kudzu.us
>> <mailto:jdmason at kudzu.us>> wrote:
>>
>>     I am planning on being at SCaLE (assuming the OEDEM happens there).
>>
>>     Many corporate travel budgets are tied to presenting at conferences.
>>     So, if we could somehow get a track there (which might be too late in
>>     the game to do now), then we might be able to get enough people
>>     present to make it happen and pull in others whose budget is more
>>     flexible.
>>

>> As it turns out, I'll be organising the YP/OE Miniconf that will most
>> likely be run on the Sunday. I was going to send out a separate email
>> discussing the Miniconf, but I guess now is as good a time as any :-)
>

> I would like a some clarification. As fas as the OE Board knows, we had
> one room available on Sunday. Is this the same room or did you find some
> other space at the venue? I am a bit confused about the messaging. The
> subject and Jon's statement are all about OEDaM but your addition to
> this tread is about a Miniconf. Is the Miniconf a separate thing?
>

>> While it's true that the CFP has closed for SCaLE, I plan to open my
>> own CFP specifically for the Miniconf, and I don't plan to close it
>> until closer to the conference itself. I want to encourage people to
>> give talks about current things, as such, having a CFP close this
>> early wouldn't do.
>>
>> We haven't decided on a format for the Miniconf, exactly, if we have
>> traditional talks, we'll have 6 sessions (2 before lunch, 4 after).
>> But depending on interest and what sort of proposals we get, we might
>> do some longer, some shorter talks.
>

> May I ask who "We" are? AFAIK, Behan and Tom are doing a *-ale tracks at
> Scale.

Trevor,

  The OpenEmbedded board had a quick discussion and would like to share
a few things.
  First, the board fully supports any OpenEmbedded member organizing
community events.
  Second, thank you for stepping up to organize such an event.  We
greatly appreciate it and will support you as best we can.

  Third, the desire for user-centric events or a separate conference
entirely has been discussed at several of the recent developer meetings,
while at the same time, we've seen a growing number of users attending
these meetings "just to observe".  It sounds like the event that you are
starting to organize at SCaLE presents the perfect opportunity to start
creating such a user-centric meeting.

 Lastly, as was brought up at the meeting in Edinburgh, this is all
occurring *very* late for conference planning, which adds greatly to
everyone's stress and angst.

  With that said, the board does have a concern, a request, and a
suggestion. (triple threat!)

  The concern arises from the history associated with the OEDEM and
OEDAM names/meetings.  Specifically, we are concerned about possible
confusion that may arise from overusing those terms.  FWIW, members
expressed this at the last several developer meetings publicly and have
also expressed reservations to board members privately. For many,
employers will only pay for them to go to a single "meeting" a year.
This means we need to make it easy for users, developers, and their
employers to know what type of meeting is being held.

  So, we request that you call the event that you are organizing an
OpenEmbedded User Summit, or something similar.  We think this will help
clarify things and it also preserves the use of the "official",
OpenEmbedded Developer Meetings terms, e.g. OEDEM or OEDAM, for the OE
developers.

  Recognizing that we are scrambling to get things organized at the last
minute, we further suggest that we put together a quick verbal
discussion with all the necessary folks present.  ATM, that appears to
be you, Tom K, Behan, and the OE board.

--
Sean