[yocto] OEDAM @ SCaLE 2019

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 07:04:17 PDT 2018

Hello Fellow YP/OE Enthusiasts!

There were discussions at our recent OEDEM regarding:
- our next developers meeting
- SCaLE 2019
- expanding/adding to the YP/OE presence at conferences (i.e. our own
  miniconf?)

Please see time indices: 12:13 and 16:45
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YDAHjIOXCIgvSZVOKCYLxa8h26dkruX8zspoge7zCpk

Unfortunately, although lots of opinions were expressed, nothing concrete was
decided. Many people pointed out that their travel budgets are already
strained or maxed out, so adding another conference would be difficult if not
impossible. It's unclear how many "core" YP/OE people might show up at next
year's SCaLE. Also, given that this year's ELC scheduling hiccup is a one-off,
maybe it doesn't make as much sense to put in all the work required to run an
OEDAM at SCaLE if it's only ever going to happen once. Therefore I think I can
safely say the organizing committee for YP/OE Things at SCaLE 2019 is leaning
towards not running an OEDAM.

It's not too late to change our plans. If a large number of core people reply
to this email saying they want and OEDAM in March and will be available in
Pasadena, then we could accommodate it. It's just that we didn't leave
Edinburgh with the feeling that an OEDAM at SCaLE was feasible. Also, at this
point SCaLE isn't on the radars of many of the core YP/OE people, and
currently the conference tends to attract users rather than developers (or so
is my impression).

Thoughts?

Best regards,
	Trevor