[yocto] Splash screen using systemd

Damien LEFEVRE lefevre.da at gmail.com
Wed May 2 07:48:31 PDT 2018

Hi,

I'm working on an NVidia Jetson board with a TX2 module and I would like to
have splash screen with a progress bar when booting and shutting down. The
board boots to an application embedded style. There's no desktop and no
user login.

The configuration I use makes use of systemd.

I gave a try to psplash but by now I have realized that it is not
compatible with systemd. The image is displayed but I don't get progress
information.

Next try with dietsplash. The splash screen isn't displayed and I just have
a black screen when booting. If I manually run /bin/dietsplash I lose
control over the keyboard and the penguin isn't displayed.

The dietsplash doc https://github.com/lucasdemarchi/dietsplash/tree/v0.3
mentions to add 'init=/bin/dietsplash' to the kernel command line.

What would be the way to I add it?

Last try plymouth. An error comes during the boot and the splash screen
doesn't show:
[   OK    ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
[FAILED] Failed to start Forward Passwrod Requests to Plymouth Directory
Watch.
See 'systemctl status systemd-ask-password-plymouth.path' for details

systemctl status gives me:
● systemd-ask-password-plymouth.path - Forward Password Requests to
Plymouth Directory Watch
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-plymouth.path;
static; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents

May 02 14:34:10 jetson-tx2 systemd[1]:
[[0;1;31msystemd-ask-password-plymouth.path: Refusing to start, unit to
trigger not loaded.[[0m
May 02 14:34:10 jetson-tx2 systemd[1]: [[0;1;31mFailed to start Forward
Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch.[[0m

Any hint would be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers,
-Damien