[yocto] Avoiding both GPLv3 and meta-gplv2 ?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue May 1 15:10:27 PDT 2018

On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 12:07:42 AM NZST Burton, Ross wrote:
> The make dependencies come from the ptest packages, so if you disable
> ptest in your DISTRO_FEATURES then those should disappear.
>
> Essentially doing a full build without any GPLv3 software *and* not
> using old releases which are still GPLv2 is tricky.  I can only
> suggest you don't use the meta-gpl2 layer (as you don't want the
> recipes to be used) and use bbappends to disable pieces where
> required.

We probably need some sort of whitepaper on how to do that, it doesn't look
like our manuals cover it in sufficient detail. Any volunteers ? ;)

One other thing worth mentioning is that there has been some discussion a
while ago about a better plan to handle this, in the form of providing a set
of recipes for BSD-licensed replacements for GPLv3 components built for the
target instead of old GPLv2 ones. I don't know if anyone is actively working
on that though.

Cheers,
Paul

--