[yocto] Avoiding both GPLv3 and meta-gplv2 ?

Irving ST irving at ssfivy.com
Tue May 1 03:58:55 PDT 2018

Hello,

First time posting, apologies if I miss anything in the community guidelines.

I had some problems trying to make an image that contains no GPLv3
(due to corporate requirement) nor old GPLv2 software in meta-gplv2
(due to lack of support).

I tried getting a fresh checkout of poky and adding
INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE in conf/local.conf , but I got the following
error:

ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'make' (but
/home/irving/srcgit/poky/meta/recipes-core/zlib/zlib_1.2.11.bb,
/home/irving/srcgit/poky/meta/recipes-connectivity/openssl/openssl_1.0.2o.bb
RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
make was skipped: it has an incompatible license: GPLv3 & LGPLv2

I tried adding meta-gplv2 layer to bblayer.conf and the error
disappears. I was expecting the license restriction to apply to the
final image only, but my guess is I am also restricted from building
the cross compilation tools (which seems weird to me).

Is this layer required when building without GPLv3?
Is there any alternative I can try, or is my choice limited to either
using GPLv3 code vs outdated GPLv2 code?
If I have to use the meta-gplv2 layer, is there a way to restrict
anything inside this layer from being built into the image?

I tried to look for information on building a busybox-based image (vs
a GNU coreutils-based image) in the mega manual but didn’t find
anything specific.

Regards,
Irving