[yocto] how to add pulseaudio

Mylène Josserand mylene.josserand at bootlin.com
Tue Mar 27 01:10:11 PDT 2018

Hello,

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:17:02 +0200
Sherif Omran <sherifomran2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
>
> i am trying to add pulse audio to an image but i don't get pulse audio
> being installed in the image

Which layers are you using and on which branch are you based? Rocko?

> I am using the following
> DISTRO_FEATURES_append += " ext2 pam usbhost ${DISTRO_FEATURES_LIBC}
> pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-dbus-protocol pulseaudio-module-bluetooth"
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append += " python dbus gconf glib-2.0"
>
> what am i doing wrong?

I think you are little confused with DISTRO_FEATURES and IMAGE_INSTALL.

The DISTRO_FEATURES is a variable to indicate what your
distribution is supporting as features. Thanks to that, it is possible
to enable/disable features in application (such as bluetooth support,
etc). See
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#ref-features-distro
You can set "pulseaudio" as a feature but the other "pulseaudio"
variables are useless because they are packages's names.

The IMAGE_INSTALL
(https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-IMAGE_INSTALL)
is the list of packages that you want to install in your final image.
So you need to add the "pulseaudio" package in your IMAGE_INSTALL.
And you have to move "pulseaudio-module-dbus-protocol" and
"pulseaudio-module-bluetooth" from DISTRO_FEATURES to IMAGE_INSTALL.

So try something like this:
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ext2 pam usbhost ${DISTRO_FEATURES_LIBC}
pulseaudio"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " python dbus gconf glib-2.0 pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-dbus-protocol pulseaudio-module-bluetooth"

With that, you will have pulseaudio + pulseaudio's dbus module +
pulseaudio's bluetooth module installed in your final image.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

--
Mylène Josserand, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering