[yocto] how to add pulseaudio

Måns Zigher mans.zigher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 01:46:48 PDT 2018

I am no expert but basically the DISTRO_FEATURES is normally used to inform
recipes about what kind of feature you would like to have. A recipe based
on the DISTRO_FEATURES can then include take action on certain
DISTRO_FEATURES. In the yocto ref manual you can read

"In most cases, the presence or absence of a feature in DISTRO_FEATURES is
translated to the appropriate option supplied to the configure script
during the do_configure
<https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#ref-tasks-configure>
task
for recipes that optionally support the feature"

Since pulseaudio is not by default shipped by the Yocto Project metadata I
guess you have included some other meta layer to get this feature. But to
me it looks like you have included pulseaudio in the wrong place it should
be included in the IMAGE_INSTALL_append. If supported you should include
just pulseaudio in the DISTRO_FEATURES_append if that is supported as a
DISTRO_FEATURE in your build to inform recipes about it so that if
supported the pulsaudio support is included. I suggest to try

DISTRO_FEATURES_append += " ext2 pam usbhost ${DISTRO_FEATURES_LIBC}
pulseaudio"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append += " python dbus gconf glib-2.0 pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-dbus-protocol pulseaudio-module-bluetooth"

A DISTRO_FEATURES is not necessarily mapped to a package so based on that
the pulseaudio-module-dbus-protocol pulseaudio-module-bluetooth looks
strange to be included in the DISTRO_FEATURES_append since those looks like
packages and not a feature. Also I believe that you still need include
pulseaudio in IMAGE_INSTALL_append since it not necessarily mapped to
package but I could be wrong since bitbake and OE surprises me all the time
on what it can figure out on it's own.

BR
Mans Zigher