[yocto] how to "compute" path to install module file

Stephano Cetola stephano.cetola at linux.intel.com
Thu Mar 22 06:37:41 PDT 2018

On 3/22/18 12:31 AM, Vincent Daanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m porting the makefile to build SocketCan for Ixxat on yocto. At this
> time I successfully build the module file.

Have you checked out the CANopen drivers?
https://github.com/ros-industrial/ros_canopen
https://github.com/bmwcarit/meta-ros/tree/master/recipes-ros/ros-canopen

There are already recipes for this if it happens to work for your part.

Just figured I'd mention it :)

For adding the Ixxat driver, this documentation might help:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#working-with-out-of-tree-modules

> Build fails with the following error:
>
> nothing provides kernel-module-ixx-pci-4.12.14-yocto-standard needed by
> kernel-module-ixxat-candriver-1.0-r0.qemux86_64

Do you have a recipe that provides ixx-pci? If so it needs to say:

PROVIDES = "ixx-pci"

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#var-PROVIDES

Also, you need to be sure that it is being built, so I would add that
recipe into some RDEPENDS variable, for example:

MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "ixx-pci"

(in this case in your machine conf, assuming the package name is "ixx-pci")

> I don’t understand how yocto computes to module filename. It adds the
> kernel-version to the default filename…

check out the "module_pattern" variables in:
meta/classes/kernel-module-split.bbclass

I believe this is done during packaging.

Cheers,
Stephano