[yocto] Documentation error report

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:32:22 PST 2018

Hi Daryl,

On Sat 2018-03-10 @ 07:10:02 PM, daryl at daryllee.com wrote:
> I'm not sure who to send this to, so maybe someone can redirect me...

Scott Rifenbark is responsible for all YP documentation:
srifenbark AT gmail DOT com

Ideally, if you're comfortable with git, you could generate a patch and send
it via email to this list (CCing Scott). You can find the YP sources here:

	http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-docs

> I'm going through the Yocto Project Quick Start at https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.4.1/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html,
> and I encountered a minor error that might be worth fixing.  There are two
> consecutive commands given for cloning Poky and checking out the current
> version:
>
> $ git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky
> $ git checkout tags/yocto-2.4.1 -b poky_2.4.1
>
> For myself, I had to insert a
>
> $ cd poky
>
> between them to succeed.

Specifically I think you're referring to:

	http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-docs/tree/documentation/yocto-project-qs/qs.xml#n330

I think the "-b <branch>" option (which also takes tags) could be used to
combine the above into one step, thus obviating the need for the "cd ..." or
the "checkout ..."

	$ git clone -b yocto-2.4.1 git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky

But maybe it's simpler as multiple steps?

> And, as always, my sincere thanks to everyone who has ever contributed to
> this endeavor; it's a big help to me.  I've been using it for several months
> now via Xilinx's Petalinux wrapper and now I'm trying to get "under the
> covers" to understand better what kind of magic is going on.

Welcome, and good luck!