[yocto] [layerindex-web] RFC: layer index docker fixes

Konrad Scherer Konrad.Scherer at windriver.com
Wed Jul 11 10:03:28 PDT 2018

On 07/10/2018 12:17 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I've been trying to get the OE layer index example docker setup in shape,
> based upon improvements from myself, Michael and Konrad. For the moment I've
> taken most of what Michael and I did (with some fixes and tweaks, and broken up
> into smaller patches) and a few pieces of the Dockerfile from Konrad's recent
> patch and put it here:
>
>    http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/layerindex-web/log/?h=paule/dockerfixes
>
> Konrad, I know you were a little bit more ambitious with your changes but I
> wanted to get something closer to what Michael is using and then we can build
> upon it. In particular I haven't yet explored docker-compose as you have,
> although it looks like it would make deploying all of this a bit easier.
>
> Let me know what you think.

Hello Paul,

I have attached a patch to reduce the layerindex-web image size further.
Docker image layers are like git objects and RUN commands can only hide
files, not remove them once they have been committed. The pip upgrade
caused the following 'pip install' to fail and was removed.

I recommend docker-compose because much of the information in
docker/README can be captured in a compose yaml file. It handles the
network setup and makes managing shared volumes much simpler.

--
Konrad Scherer, MTS, Linux Products Group, Wind River