[yocto] Error when trying to customize the kernel via menuconfig

Nguyễn Thanh Vũ ngthanh.vu94 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 02:02:35 PST 2018

Hello everyone,

I have configured the kernel to remove the TCP/IP Networking and IPv6
component in the "Networking support" part. It builds and boots fine.
However, when I run my own .ko module, there is an error like this:

module1: disagrees about version of symbol dev_warn
> module1: Unknown symbol dev_warn (err -22)
> module1: disagrees about version of symbol _dev_info
> module1: Unknown symbol _dev_info (err -22)
> module1: disagrees about version of symbol device_create_file
> module1: Unknown symbol device_create_file (err -22)
> module1: disagrees about version of symbol dev_err
> module1: Unknown symbol dev_err (err -22)
> module1: disagrees about version of symbol device_remove_file
> module1: Unknown symbol device_remove_file (err -22)
> insmod: can't insert './module1.ko': Invalid argument
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_interface_id (err 0)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_assign_descriptors (err 0)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_string_ids_tab (err 0)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_composite_unregister (err 0)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_add_function (err 0)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_composite_probe (err 0)
> module2: disagrees about version of symbol _dev_info
> module2: Unknown symbol _dev_info (err -22)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_composite_overwrite_options (err 0)
> module2: disagrees about version of symbol device_create
> module2: Unknown symbol device_create (err -22)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_ep_autoconfig (err 0)
> module2: disagrees about version of symbol dev_err
> module2: Unknown symbol dev_err (err -22)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_ep_autoconfig_reset (err 0)
> module2: Unknown symbol device_destroy (err -22)
> module2: Unknown symbol usb_add_config (err 0)
> insmod: can't insert './module2.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown
> parameter

This is crazy since why the hell disables the networking part can result in
USB or Device function unresolved? Is there any explanation or clues?
Basically I do not need to use networking part in my application.