[yocto] How to correctly understand "selects" and "selected by" in menuconfig to properly configure the kernel?

Nguyễn Thanh Vũ ngthanh.vu94 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 06:49:57 PST 2018

I'm currently trying to remove the networking components from the kernel
using menuconfig. However, it seems that there are a lot of dependencies
when I choose to exclude the networking component (error when bitbake build
after reconfiguring). I think it has something to do with the "selects" and
selected by". Please tell me if I'm wrong here:
- If we select a component, the modules in "selects" section will
automatically be selected to . So, how about when we deselect a component,
will those modules be automatically deselected?
- How about the modules in "selected by" when we select or deselect a
component?

Thanks,
Vu.