[yocto] x86_64 kernel with i586 userland plus SDK?

Richard Weinberger richard.weinberger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:13:48 PST 2018

Bruce,

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 3:00 PM Richard Weinberger
<richard.weinberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I set DEFAULTTUNE to i586 for a 64bit machine I'd expect
> TARGET_SYS still being x86_64-poky-linux.
> But it is i686-poky-linux.
>
> > Do you have a dump of the kernel build line that I could see ?
>
> Sure, let me trigger a rebuild, currently my yocto is in limbo-state. :)
> So might take some time.

I think I found the source if my confusion, the i686-poky-linux compiler
*is* a biarch gcc but defaults to -m32.
When I pass -m64 to it, it actually generates proper x86_64 code.

Although, the kernel recipe always thinks that I want to build for i586 and
selects a 32bit config. But that should be easy solvable.

--
Thanks,
//richard