[yocto] Does yocto support android build tools?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:45:13 PDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 5:59 AM benxi <lbxhust at 163.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>     I'm trying to introduce an android package to my image. As I know, android uses its own build development kit, and uses Android.mk and Android.bp rather than traditional makefiles.
>     I'm curious about if yocto supports such mechanism. Do I have to replace Android.mk and Android.bp with Makefiles?
>
>     The following link says that yocto may be compatible with android packages. I've googled a lot but I didn't get any tip.
>     https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40759597/what-is-android-compat-build-artifacts-of-poky-in-yocto
>
>     So, before rewriting all the makefiles, I would rather ask: is there any better way to solve the problem?

Yocto build system delegates the build work to component's own build
system therefore it should be inline to build android packages, may be
a bbclass to abstract common android build functions and then writing
recipes would become easier. It might be one time work but worth if
there are many packages that need to be ported.
you have to also keep in mind the runtime differences between android
and general Linux systems.