[yocto] DEPENDS and -native for recipes

Anoop Karollil anoop.karollil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 16:33:33 PDT 2018

I am trying to understand why you would use a *-native* version of a recipe.

My understanding is that you would use say openssl-native as a DEPENDS for
a recipe if the recipe is using openssl for a step that doesn't require
openssl to be built for the target machine. For example say signing an
artifact built by the recipe which is independent of the target machine
architecture, but needs to be able to run on the host machine natively. And
since its built for the host build machine, it won't get included in the
target machine image. If the recipe then invokes openssl, I am guessing
bitbake is smart enough to run the openssl that was compiled for the host
when building the package and not say the openssl actually present on the
host. I couldn't find anything in
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual.html
that describes *-native. *Is this documented somewhere?

I ran into trouble building a package that depended on glib-2.0. I had to
include both glib-2.0 as well as glib-2.0-native to get the package to
build successfully consistently - it succeeded sometimes but failed other
times. I see other people have had similar issues (
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2017-January/132067.html)
where they have had to include both glib-2.0 and also glib-2.0-native even
though glib-2.0 depends on glib-2.0-native (
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/recipes-core/glib-2.0/glib.inc?h=pyro#n22).
I am guessing its a problem with the glib-2.0 recipe?

Thanks,
Anoop