[yocto] Starting Hardware

Chris Simmonds chris at 2net.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 08:37:54 PDT 2018

Hi Alejandro,

There are only a few platforms supported by Android Things, one of which
is the Raspberry Pi, so that is the obvious choice.

The RPi is well supported by Yocto Project/OpenEmbedded. You will need
the meta-raspberrypi layer, which you can find, along with many other
meta layers, at http://layers.openembedded.org. The specific one you
need is at

http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layer/meta-raspberrypi/

There are brief instructions on building it at

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-raspberrypi/about/

However, since you are just beginning on your journey with
Yocto/OpenEmbedded, I would advise that you start by building the
default qemux86 emulator target first, and then move on to building the
RPi images. That way you get to learn about adding meta layers and meta
layer dependencies after you have built your first Yocto Project image.

Enjoy!
Chris

--
Chris Simmonds, Consultant, 2net Ltd