[yocto] SocketCan support for Yocto

Rudolf Streif rudolf.streif at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 13:08:46 PDT 2017

Subbu,

You need to enable the CAN subsystem in the Linux kernel:

CONFIG_CAN=y (or m if you prefer a module)

CONFIG_NET=y must be enabled for this (but is by default).

You did not specify if you are using a particular CAN hardware that
supports socket CAN. If so you need to enable the driver for that too. For
example, a popular one is USB Peak CAN: CONFIG_CAN_PEAK_USB.

Or if you want to use a virtual CAN interface CONFIG_CAN_VCAN=y

You can change kernel configuration parameters for testing with:

bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel

which will open the menu configuration for the kernel your Yocto build is
using.

:rjs

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Subramanian Ramachandran <
SRamachandran at agjunction.com> wrote:

> Hi Yocto Team,
>

> I am using a custom Yocto linux distribution for my project and am
> interested in implementing socket can support for it.
>

> I understand that socketcan is a kernel feature and needs to be included
> at build time while using the bitbake/toaster toolset.
>

> The default yocto distribution of Krogoth I used does not contain
> socketcan by default. What flag do I need to enable to add socketcan
> support in the kernel? What is the variable I need to use in the
> bitbake/toaster environment to do this?  - I have already tried adding
> libsocketcan and can-utils to the image install append variable in toaster
> and it has not helped to incorporate socket can support.
>

> Please advise.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Subbu
>

> Disclaimer: This message (and any other messages in this email thread)
> contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the
> property of AgJunction Inc and its subsidiaries. It is intended for the
> person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute,
> or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in
> error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
> message.

*Rudolf J. Streif*