[yocto] The differences between rpm 4.x and rpm 5.x in Morty (Poky 2.2)

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 06:25:02 PDT 2017

Hello,

After first attempt to understand how to manage the whole YOCTO build, I
did understand that lot of reading should be done on my behalf, in order to
catch up with the whole bitbake architecture, but not only... A bit of
history is also required.

Now, since I am now managing the huge poky (Morty 2.2) tree, in order to
assemble Qt framework on the top of Xorg (for the starters I would like to
see how all of this comes/behaves together), I have managed to build LXDE
(using Xorg as underlying architecture) load for iMX6, and ported it to the
appropriate HW platform.

While doing that I have encountered several problems but was able to solve
these bugs with the suggestions I got from the caring people from this list
(to try to tweak the recipes). Well... :-)

Now, I am facing a bigger problem, since in the initial tree load I did not
put (excluded) any package manager (both smartpm and opkg, trying to get
rid of rpm 5.x dependencies, naively). The one I aim for is actually one
which I know the best, and this is DNF. It came into Pyro (2.3.1).

After I reprogrammed eMMC, and checked LXDE with Morty features for
designated iMX6 HW , I decided to add DNF into the tree, and replace rpm
5.x (in meta/recipes-devtools) with rpm 4.x (since DNF requires rpm 4.x
support, as I read from the documentation).

Unfortunately, this did not work for me (lot of errors trying to recompile,
since rpm 5.x is missing). For Morty I sense that I need to have both rpm
packages (since lot of another packages depend (???) from rpm 5.x). I
understood that these were changed to depend from rpm 4.x in Pyro Poky
2.3.1 (if I am not mistaken)?!

How can I achieve this for Morty? I know that I need to place DNF recipes
into recipes-devtools/.

Where should I place rpm 4.x, so it'll have only DNF to be dependent from
it?

Any quick hints (material, emails, threads to read)?

Thank you,
Zoran