[yocto] Building kernel backports for ARM with Yocto

Darcy Watkins dwatkins at sierrawireless.com
Wed Oct 18 15:53:50 PDT 2017

I tried building backports under Yocto a few years back using Yocto daisy branch with kernel 3.4 for x86 and kernel 3.12 for ARM.  After a fair amount of pain I was able to get it to sort of work.  The problem was mainly a sysroot arm-wrestle between kernel and backports because they both generate the same kernel module packages.  It was a last-one-wins arm-wrestle.  It sort of worked OK with daisy branch, but newer yocto versions have stricter management of sysroots and staging areas.

I think what we need is some sort of virtual provider or alternatives scheme to make this work properly.

You can also run into problems related to exports to other out-of-tree modules but IIRC, it would only affect an out-of-tree module with an incompatible license.

I was able to run a few circa kernel 3.18 backports experimentally on a kernel 3.4 and a kernel 3.12.  Eventually we just upgraded the kernel.  Another project I know of used backports to update their kernel source and then created a recipe to build kernel from that source.

The notes/questions I had in the end were:

  *   was building backports as out-of-tree kernel modules
  *   was concerned that this wouldn’t provide updated kernel staging source, particularly with respect to any updated includes
  *   wasn’t sure what would be propagated into the sysroot
  *   should consider the backports use case that patches the kernel source and then perhaps use this to generate patchset to be added to kernel recipe (bbappend)
  *   otherwise need to ensure proper handling of sysroot, staging, (as well as a notion of providers and/or alternatives like I mentioned earlier)

I haven’t touched this in years, but perhaps it may help a bit.

I think your best bet for short term is to use it to patch the kernel and then capture the changes as a patchset to add to a kernel recipe.

Regards,

Darcy

Darcy Watkins ::  Senior Staff Engineer, Firmware

SIERRA WIRELESS
Direct  +1 604 233 7989   ::  Fax  +1 604 231 1109  ::  Main  +1 604 231 1100
13811 Wireless Way  :: Richmond, BC Canada V6V 3A4
[P2]
dwatkins at sierrawireless.com<mailto:dwatkins at sierrawireless.com> :: www.sierrawireless.com<http://www.sierrawireless.com/>