[yocto] pseudo - few general questions

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Oct 16 06:46:19 PDT 2017

On 10/16/17 7:16 AM, Pavlina Varekova wrote:
> Hi,
> I am evaluating to use pseudo in one project so I have several questions
> regarding the tool.
>
> As I see in the official home for pseudo's git repository the last commit is
> from 2017-04-13. Is pseudo maintained now and will it be in the future? How
> active the community is?
>
> From its documentation I know that it is proposed for "provide enough
> functionality to allow RPM and similar tools to run file system installs using
> chroot()". But "implementation is far from complete or perfect". Is pseudo
> suitable to use in automated tests that aim to or can set a broad range or
> combinations of file ownerships?

The component is being actively maintained.  The maintainer is often busy and
general maintenance is not required on a daily basis.. but he does respond to
mailing list messages regularly.

As far as testing goes, I've found that pseudo is better for automated tests
then the combination of fakeroot/fakechroot.  But as indicated there are corner
cases where there may be problems.  If you use it and find one of those corner
cases let us know, as we want to improve it.

--Mark