[yocto] [meta-rockchip] The various rockchip layers

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 17:04:46 PDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Mirza Krak <mirza.krak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I recently started working with Rockchip SoC`s and I currently have a
> Tinkerboard and a FireFly-RK3288 board. And as I recently enter the
> Yocto Rockchip world I have some comments and questions on the current
> setup/workflow which I found a bit confusing when starting out.
>
> As I started digging to check the current state of the different
> layers it was quite clear to me that there where two different sets.
> One is maintained by Rockchip [1] and the other one by the community
> [2].
>
> And it made sense to me initially. I do not know the full background
> story with the Rockchip layers (would be nice if someone could tell it
> :)) on what the intent was with "community" Rockchip layers.
>
> But as I looked in to it further it was quite clear to me that the
> Rockchip maintained layers are more "up to date" then the community
> ones. And then I started thinking on why are not these merged and we
> could focus effort on maintaining one layer.
>
> There are a couple things that are interesting:
>
> - The Rockchip maintained layers state that they do accept
> contributions trough pull-requests on github. So nothing stopping us
> there?
>
> - The Rockchip maintained layers supports more "community" boards then
> the community layers does. Bit odd? :)
>
> - The community layers are a bit outdated on older Yocto branches,
> master branch seems active though.
>
> - Trevor and Romain (maintainers of the community layers) are listed
> as maintainers of the Rockchip layers? [4]

Its not a good situation, While it is good that both layers are maintained, it
should be clear in its purpose. It could be that github layer supports products
and might have binary stuff and may not work with latest upstreams and the
community layer while supporting lesser number of boards is kept uptodate
with respective upstreams. Ideally, it would be good if both layers were
in sync.