[yocto] [meta-rockchip] The various rockchip layers

Mirza Krak mirza.krak at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 16:03:04 PDT 2017

Hi all.

I recently started working with Rockchip SoC`s and I currently have a
Tinkerboard and a FireFly-RK3288 board. And as I recently enter the
Yocto Rockchip world I have some comments and questions on the current
setup/workflow which I found a bit confusing when starting out.

As I started digging to check the current state of the different
layers it was quite clear to me that there where two different sets.
One is maintained by Rockchip [1] and the other one by the community
[2].

And it made sense to me initially. I do not know the full background
story with the Rockchip layers (would be nice if someone could tell it
:)) on what the intent was with "community" Rockchip layers.

But as I looked in to it further it was quite clear to me that the
Rockchip maintained layers are more "up to date" then the community
ones. And then I started thinking on why are not these merged and we
could focus effort on maintaining one layer.

There are a couple things that are interesting:

- The Rockchip maintained layers state that they do accept
contributions trough pull-requests on github. So nothing stopping us
there?

- The Rockchip maintained layers supports more "community" boards then
the community layers does. Bit odd? :)

- The community layers are a bit outdated on older Yocto branches,
master branch seems active though.

- Trevor and Romain (maintainers of the community layers) are listed
as maintainers of the Rockchip layers? [4]

What I am really after is better understanding the workflow working
with Rockchip SOC`s and Yocto and that is why I am raising questions
to do so :).

My plan was getting involved in one of the Rockchip layers as I have
some improvements and I have some ideas for further improvements. And
the goal with this email was to figure out where.

[1]. https://github.com/rockchip-linux
[2]. http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-rockchip/
[3]. http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/2.2/#the-differences-between-project-name-and-freescale-release-name
[4]. https://github.com/rockchip-linux/meta-rockchip/blob/master/README#L65-L66