[yocto] How to add support for "usb WIFI dongle"?

Alan Martinovic alan.martinovic at senic.com
Tue Nov 21 09:04:29 PST 2017

Some hints on where to start at:

> What should I do to add support for "usb WIFI dongle"

Am guessing the dongle works with Raspbian or id gets detected
once you plug it into a desktop Linux machine.
Once you do that type:

    dmesg

And it will list the kernel modules related to your dongle.
You can use those buzzwords to google for what does
enabling the dongle actually translates to in terms of kernel config.

After that (depending what linux you're using) figure out how to
run menuconfig. It might be something like:

    bitbake your-kernel-package-name -c menuconfig

and try checking out the boxes that you found out
might be relevant to your wifi dongle.
Save it, build the image, and see if it got you somewhere.