[yocto] rpm/dnf issues when building an SDK

Tobias Olausson tobias.olausson at pelagicore.com
Mon Nov 13 09:13:42 PST 2017

Hey,

I have a weird issue when generating an SDK for the image I'm building.
Somehow, I end up with the following errors:

$ bitbake -c populate_sdk core-image-pelux-minimal
ERROR: core-image-pelux-minimal-1.0-r0 do_populate_sdk: unable to place
/home/vagrant/pelux_yocto/build/tmp/work/intel_corei7_64-pelux-linux/core-image-pelux-minimal/1.0-r0/sdk/image/etc/rpmrc
in final SDK location
ERROR: core-image-pelux-minimal-1.0-r0 do_populate_sdk: unable to place
/home/vagrant/pelux_yocto/build/tmp/work/intel_corei7_64-pelux-linux/core-image-pelux-minimal/1.0-r0/sdk/image/etc/dnf/dnf.conf
in final SDK location

I have no idea why, and re-running the populate_sdk step succeeds
without any tasks being run, and even after those errors, an sdk is
produced, but I end up with 2 errors and a non-zero exit code. A quick
check easily reveals that the files it wanted to place in "final SDK
location" are non-existent, so the error as such makes sense.

In my CI system I build this using vagrant with docker as the provider,
and it's only then I notice this issue. When building locally (with
docker or otherwise) there are no such issues. The CI system (and when I
build locally) are ubuntu and debian, respectively. The error is present
in the CI setup regardless of having rpm on the host machine or not.

I couldn't find any info on other people having the same problem, and I
start feeling stuck on this because it only fails in some environments,
it seems.

Cheers,

Tobias Olausson
Software Engineer