[yocto] [layerindex-web][patch v3 1/1] recipes.html: Require keyword for recipe search

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 8 11:08:03 PST 2017

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 4:42:50 AM NZDT Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 11/7/17 8:43 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> >> There are reasons to view all of the recipes, machines, classes, distros,
> >> etc. (Not necessarily good reasons, but I know people do it.)
> >>
> >> If the query is too long, it would be better to figure out a way to get a
> >> partial response and formulate the first page based on partial
> >
> > I'm willing to be proven wrong, but unfortunately it looks to me like this
> > will require major re-engineering to sort out for a fairly weak use case.
> > If you consider this important, would you be able to look into making it
> > work?
>
> I suspect much of the display engine probably needs a rework as the contents
> of the layer index have grown.  I can't promise anything, but I'll see if I
> can find anyone who can work on it.

Could be yes, thanks.

> For recipes, the use-case is very weak.  I have talked with people though
> who have just wanted a list of what is available (one big list).  Primarily
> so they can compare what is available to some magic spec sheet they are
> looking at.

If that's the use case though we should provide a proper export capability,
because comparing big lists manually 50 items at a time isn't how you'd best
support that. Theoretically the API could be used there but an explicit export
function would be more accessible.

> For the Machines, Distros pages..  people do want a full list here, as they
> simply won't know what is available or what something is called.  The scope
> of the machines and distros of course is nowhere near the scope for the full
> recipe list.

Right, and this patch doesn't remove the ability to browse those - in fact it
makes it easier to do so by adding an explicit browse button, so I think we're
OK there.

Cheers,
Paul

--