[yocto] [layerindex-web][patch v3 1/1] recipes.html: Require keyword for recipe search

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Nov 8 07:42:50 PST 2017

On 11/7/17 8:43 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 11:47:49 AM NZDT Mark Hatle wrote:
>> On 11/7/17 4:31 PM, Amanda Brindle wrote:
>>> Use JavaScript to check if the search box for recipe search is
>>> empty before querying the database. This will prevent the "502
>>> Bad Gateway" error that occurs when the query takes too long due
>>> to the large list of recipes. Since there are so many recipes
>>> spread across the layers in the OE index, there's no point in
>>> allowing a user to search without a keyword in order to browse
>>> the list; it simply isn't digestible as a whole.
>>>
>>> Add a browse button for the Machines, Classes, and Distros pages.
>>
>> There are reasons to view all of the recipes, machines, classes, distros,
>> etc. (Not necessarily good reasons, but I know people do it.)
>>
>> If the query is too long, it would be better to figure out a way to get a
>> partial response and formulate the first page based on partial responses...
>> having a multipage response that the user can look at.
>
> I'm willing to be proven wrong, but unfortunately it looks to me like this
> will require major re-engineering to sort out for a fairly weak use case. If
> you consider this important, would you be able to look into making it work?

I suspect much of the display engine probably needs a rework as the contents of
the layer index have grown.  I can't promise anything, but I'll see if I can
find anyone who can work on it.

For recipes, the use-case is very weak.  I have talked with people though who
have just wanted a list of what is available (one big list).  Primarily so they
can compare what is available to some magic spec sheet they are looking at.

For the Machines, Distros pages..  people do want a full list here, as they
simply won't know what is available or what something is called.  The scope of
the machines and distros of course is nowhere near the scope for the full recipe
list.

--Mark