[yocto] Slightly varying builds

Colin Helliwell colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Thu Nov 2 09:26:46 PDT 2017

> On 02 November 2017 at 07:10 Colin Helliwell <colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com> wrote:
>
> > On 01 November 2017 at 17:04 Alexander Kanavin <alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/01/2017 06:43 PM, colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com wrote:
> >
> > > I need to build two slightly varying versions of our Yocto build – one
> > > for the production units and one for development.
> > >
> > > They differ in only a few ways – the kernel and apps are the same. But
> > > one has Dropbear, whilst the other doesn’t; and the U-Boot configs &
> > > patches are different.
> > >
> > > I’m wondering where to do the separation – image, distro, conf…?
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on the cleanest way to split and/or inherit them would be
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > Image, certainly. Put the common bits into an include, and specific bits
> > into image-production|development.bb files. Poky has plenty of examples
> > for this.
>
> Rootfs changes I can certainly do with different image recipes.
>
> Am I right though in thinking that - because they'll have different variants of u-boot - I'll need to use separate build directories for each? (nb - I'm using signed FIT image, so the u-boot bin gets modified as part of the kernel building)
> --

Following on from this, I'm trying to be able to build my two versions of u-boot, in the *same* build directory.
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I figured it might be: since u-boot doesn't get put into the rootfs (?), I would ideally be able to build both and just pull down from tmp/deploy/images/.... the image that I want to program into a particular unit.
I've pushed common stuff into .inc file(s), and have two recipes which set different  'PROVIDES' values.
However, even after a cleanall on both recipes, bitbaking the second one throws an error "The recipe u-boot-mymachine-dev is trying to install files into a shared area when those files already exist".

Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do....?
Ta