[yocto] Slightly varying builds

Colin Helliwell colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com
Thu Nov 2 00:10:40 PDT 2017

> On 01 November 2017 at 17:04 Alexander Kanavin <alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/01/2017 06:43 PM, colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com wrote:
>
> > I need to build two slightly varying versions of our Yocto build – one
> > for the production units and one for development.
> >
> > They differ in only a few ways – the kernel and apps are the same. But
> > one has Dropbear, whilst the other doesn’t; and the U-Boot configs &
> > patches are different.
> >
> > I’m wondering where to do the separation – image, distro, conf…?
> >
> > Any thoughts on the cleanest way to split and/or inherit them would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Image, certainly. Put the common bits into an include, and specific bits
> into image-production|development.bb files. Poky has plenty of examples
> for this.

Rootfs changes I can certainly do with different image recipes.
Am I right though in thinking that - because they'll have different variants of u-boot - I'll need to use separate build directories for each? (nb - I'm using signed FIT image, so the u-boot bin gets modified as part of the kernel building)