[yocto] pseudo - few general questions

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Nov 1 06:58:07 PDT 2017

On 11/1/17 8:49 AM, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 11/1/17 4:17 AM, Pavlina Varekova wrote:
>> Hi,
>> thank you very much. It sounds good. So I tried replace fakechroot with pseudo.
>> I read man pages and replace:
>>
>> FAKECHROOT_BASE="${DIR1}" fakechroot  command
>>
>> with:
>>
>> %{PATH/TO/PSEUDO/}bin/pseudo  -r "${DIR1}" -P %{PATH/TO/PSEUDO/} command
>>
>> But it does not work good. Probably some variable is set differently.
>> Please is the replacement correct?
>>
>> Pavlina
>
> I always run pseudo, then once the shell opens then run 'chroot <path>' within
> pseudo.
>
> The system will still execute commands outside of the 'chroot', but any
> application looking at the file filesystem will appear to be constrained.

I just realized, it -may- still execute commands outside of the chroot.  pseudo
(like fakechroot) can not protect everything like a real chroot.

Below is my typical use:

$ ./bin/pseudo /bin/bash
# chroot /usr
# cd /
# ls
bash: ls: command not found
# bin/ls
bin  etc  games  include  lib  lib64  libexec  local  sbin  share  src  tmp

So it's working here.

But using the -r option, appears to work as well:

$ ./bin/pseudo -r /usr /bin/bash
bash-4.2# cd /
bash-4.2# ls
bash: ls: command not found
bash-4.2# bin/ls
bin  etc  games  include  lib  lib64  libexec  local  sbin  share  src  tmp
bash-4.2#

--Mark