[yocto] Kernel config fragments ignored

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue May 30 18:25:35 PDT 2017

On 2017-05-30 9:15 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Paul D. DeRocco
>>
>> I ported a working build from Fido to Morty, made a few
>> tweaks in response
>> to error messages (mostly updating version numbers), but it's
>> not finding
>> my kernel configuration fragments. This is supposed to be an i386 arch
>> system, but it insists upon building an x86_64 kernel. The
>> .config file it
>> generates does not include my configuration fragments, which contain
>> things like CONFIG_64BIT=n and CONFIG_X86_32=y.
>
> I'm still stumped by this, but I've debugged it further. My top level
> chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc file contains (among other things) the line
>
>      include ktypes/preempt-rt/preempt-rt.scc nopatch
>
> Building the kernel copies the following files into
> tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah
>
>      chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
>      chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)
>
> but it doesn't copy the following files anywhere
>
>      chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
>      chroma32-bsp.scc
>      chroma32-bsp.cfg
>
> so none of the values from either .cfg file appear in the resulting
> .config file.
>
> If I change the above line to
>
>      include ktypes/standard/standard.scc nopatch
>
> then tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah
> contains
>
>      chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
>      chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
>      chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)
>
> and
> tmp/work-shared/chroma32-bsp/kernel-source/.kernel-meta/configs/standard
> contains
>
>      chroma32-bsp.cfg
>      chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
>
> and everything in them is included in the .config file.
>
> Both the preempt-rt.scc and standard.scc files pull in a lot of stuff, and
> they are quite different from each other. What difference between the two
> could account for my config fragments being ignored when I use the first
> one?

It wouldn't be the difference.

Is this something that I can configure and build myself ? I changed
the processing model between those releases, but I tested migration
of a few BSPs and they all worked.

So something different is happening here.

I can't say what is is just by reading the description, but if I could
build something like you are describing, I can figure out what's happening.

Bruce